1788 1789 1790 - 1791 - 1792 1793 1794
| Decades: |
1760s 1770s 1780s - 1790s - 1800s 1810s 1820s
| Centuries: |
17th century - 18th century - 19th century
1791 was a common year starting on Saturday (see link for calendar).
- January 25 - The British Parliament passes the Constitutional Act of 1791, splitting the old province of Quebec into Upper and Lower Canada
- March 3 - The U.S. Congress passes a resolution calling for the establishment of the United States Mint (U.S. Mint not created until next year).
- March 4 - Vermont is admitted as the 14th U.S. state.
- May 3 - Constitution of third May the first modern codified constitution in Europe, proclaimed by Polish Sejm (Parliament)
- July 14 - The Priestley Riots in Birmingham, England.
- June 20 - French Royal family captured when they try to flee in disguise
- August 26 - John Fitch is granted a patent for the steamboat in the United States.
- December 4 - The first issue of The Observer, the world's first Sunday newspaper, is published.
- December 15 - The United States Bill of Rights is passed, but two of the package of twelve are not approved at that time. More than 200 years later, one of those two became the Twenty-seventh Amendment.
- January 15 - Franz Grillparzer, Austrian writer (d. 1872)
- January 28 - Louis Joseph Ferdinand Herold, French composer (d. 1833)
- February 21 - Carl Czerny, Austrian composer (d. 1857)
- Feburary 21 - John Mercer, chemist and industrialist (d. 1866)
- April 23 - James Buchanan, 15th President of the United States (d. 1868)
- April 27 - Samuel Morse, American inventor (d. 1872)
- July 26 - Franz Xaver Wolfgang Mozart, Austrian composer and pianist (d. 1844)
- September 22 - Michael Faraday, British scientist (d. 1867)
- September 26 - Théodore Géricault, French writer (d. 1824)
- November 11 - Josef Munzinger, member of the Swiss Federal Council (d. 1855)
- December 26 - Charles Babbage, British mathematician and inventor (d. 1871)
- March 2 - John Wesley, English founder of Methodism (b. 1703)
- April 19 - Richard Price, Welsh philosopher (b. 1723)
- May 9 - Francis Hopkinson, American author and signer of the Declaration of Independence (b. 1737)
- July 25 - Isaac Low, New York delegate to the Continental Congress (b. 1735)
- December 5 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Austrian composer (b. 1756)af:1791
ast:1791 bg:1791 be:1791 ca:1791 cs:1791 cy:1791 da:1791 de:1791 et:1791 el:1791 es:1791 eo:1791 eu:1791 fr:1791 gl:1791 hr:1791 io:1791 id:1791 is:1791 it:1791 he:1791 lb:1791 lt:1791 hu:1791 nl:1791 no:1791 nn:1791 pl:1791 pt:1791 ro:1791 ru:1791 sk:1791 sl:1791 sr:1791 fi:1791 sv:1791 tl:1791 tt:1791 tr:1791 uk:1791 wa:1791 zh:1791年