Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The ACP States are the countries that are signatories of the Lomé Convention. "ACP" stands for "Africa, Caribbean, and Pacific."
The first Lomé Convention was signed in Lomé, Togo, in 1975. It arose out of Europe's wish to guarantee itself regular supplies of raw materials, and to maintain its privileged position in its overseas markets. It also derived in part from a sense of responsibility arising out of its colonial past.
The Lomé Convention is an ambitious cooperation programme between 15 countries of the European Union and 71 countries of Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific (ACP). It is based mainly on a system of tariff preferences which give those countries access to the European market and special funds which maintain price stability in agricultural products and mining products.
The Lomé Agreement was succeeded by the Cotonou Agreement (signed in Benin in June 2000). One of the major differences with the Lomé convention is that the partnership is extended to new actors like civil society, private sector, trade unions, local authorities, etc. These will be involved in consultations and planning of national development strategies, provided with access to financial resources and involved in the implementation of programmes.
- "For the landlocked and island ACP States, co-operation shall be aimed at devising and encouraging specific operations to deal with development problems caused by their geographical situations.
The countries are:
Annex VI of the agreement lists the following designations:
Least-developed ACP StatesEdit
- Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi
- Republic of Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoro Islands, Democratic Republic of Congo
- Ethiopia, Eritrea
- Gambia, Guinea, Guinea (Bissau), Guinea (Equatorial)
- Lesotho, Liberia
- Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Madagascar, Mozambique
- Samoa, Sâo Tome and Principe, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan
- Tanzania, Tuvalu, Togo, Uganda, Vanuatu, Zambia
Landlocked ACP StatesEdit
- Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi
- Central African Republic, Chad
- Malawi, Mali
- Zambia, Zimbabwe
Island ACP StatesEdit
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Bahamas, Barbados
- Cape Verde, Comoros
- Dominica, Dominican Republic
- Madagascar, Mauritius
- Papua New Guinea
- Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Seychelles Solomon Islands
- Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu
- Vanuatufr:Pays ACP